Hull - January 14, 2013

This week we had a foreign speaking specialized training meeting. I had to give some instruction for a couple of minutes; I was scared to death. I was all sweaty and my hands got gross, but it wasn't all that bad. I just think of you, dad, having to get up and talk all the time in front of large bodies of people. That's something I may get used to someday. I don't know when, but maybe someday. I enjoy teaching people in small groups and individually and making the gospel personable to them. But there may be a day when we find a house full of 20 Polish people to teach, so I guess it's a good thing to prepare for.

For the meeting we got to travel all the way to Leeds, it was good. There were two Elders there from the Czech Republic and it was fun talking to them in Polish. We can understand each other about 50% since the language is so similar. They are really powerful missionaries and are assigned to speak Slovakian, which is also really similar. Basically, Czech, Slovakian, and Polish are similar. I enjoy talking to Czech or Slovakians every once in awhile on the street. They usually can understand a bit of Polish. I do love learning a language and being in a different country. But sometimes it's also a bit weird, but I like it.

David is really amazing and happy. I can see how much happier he is with the gospel. It's really helped him and the ward loves him. It seems everyone wants to talk to him after sacrament meeting. David blessed the sacrament on Sunday as well and did a terrific job. And, he went out teaching with Elder Christensen and Krylborn. Sean came to church this past week! I was happy to see him.

We've been really trying to find people to teach. We have a few, but patience is a good thing I guess. We're trying to teach a lady named Sylwia; she's really energetic. Right now, we know a lot of people, but a lot of them are busy because a lot of Polish people work crazy hours and then sleep and eat, and then work crazy hours all over again. So it's a bit of a struggle, but we are continually finding and teaching. We mostly teach Polish people because we go into areas were there's a lot of Polish people. We haven't really taught English people for a while now.

I'm sort of lucky because it doesn't rain very much in Hull; we're sheltered some from the bad weather. In fact, today's the first day I've really seen any snow, and it was only a little bit of frost this morning and that's already mostly melted away.

This week we found that a Tesco by our flat sells Polish food in jars. So I've had Polish stew, a Polish beans and sausage mix, and something that translates to pigeon in English, but is this cabbage sausage burrito thing that is covered in tomato sauce, so good!

Love you,

Starszy Ressler