Hull - September 3, 2012

Two weeks ago we went to an art museum and a whaling museum. This past P-day we spent the day cooking Mexican food. And I'm not really sure what we are going to be doing for this P-day.

Oh wow, camping. Sounds like you're all having fun even though school has started up already. That picture of the food I sent you is a kabab. It's processed lamb meat on pita bread. They have it up in the kabab shop on this rotating cooker and then slice off pieces of it for you and put it into this oven cooked pita bread like thing with sauce and vegetables on the side. It was delicious.

Leigh was baptized and confirmed this past week. I had the honor of baptizing him. Sean came to the baptism and to church yesterday. He seems so much happier when he comes to church and reads the Book of Mormon, and I think he's realizing that. I know that when I do those things in my life I am a happier person. Well, I've almost lost a stone (about 14 pounds) and I credit it to us walking all the time. Ever since we discovered it's actually faster to walk to Boulevard Street and that area from our flat than taking two buses to get there, we've walked a lot. I'm not too worried about winter, actually I am. It gets cold some nights. Two of the Elders gave me two more blankets, so now I'm all toasty. I think in winter time I'll still have the two blankets, so I'll be warm.

So this past week we had a miracle. We've been looking a lot for Polish investigators to teach. We decided to try a part of the city called Gypsyville and for a while we were sort of scared to go there because we thought it would be full of gypsies. We set off with the thought that we'd finds some Polish gypsies. Well, it's just like a normal city, not at all like we expected. We started asking people if Polish people live in the area, and everyone said that not many did. We searched for hours and became a little frustrated I suppose. We said a prayer asking if we could be lead to Polish people and that they'd be friendly and willing to listen to our message. We walked to the next side street with about 8-10 houses and I felt like I should knock on the first door to the right with the light on. A lady answered. She was a member of the church, so we asked her if she knew of any Polish people in the area. She directed us to the next side street over and said there used to be, but she didn't know if they were there are anymore. We went to the next side street. I felt inspired to knock on the door to the left with the light on. Inside I could see a woman holding a baby. When Daniel opened the door, we discovered that he is Polish, and we talked with him. Two days later he and his family came to church! I have no doubt that we were inspired to go to that house, in that area, with very few Polish people. We're teaching his family again on wtorek (Tuesday). Daniel has lived in England for around eight years and speaks really good English. After finding Daniel and his family, we tried some of the other houses in the street, and they all said that no Polish people live on that street. It's amazing the first house we knocked was a member who led us to the next street, where the first house we felt impressed to knock was this really amazing family. Daniel said that they don't go to church because where he was from it was too political, or something to that matter. We explained to him that no one gets paid in our church.

Some of the Polish people we find just simply aren't quite interested in hearing the gospel. But we don’t have too much trouble making friends with them. For example, I enjoy seeing a Polish man, who's usually drinking or drunk, and waving to him when we see him. Plus, I can practice my Polish a bit. Sometimes, since they all come over from Poland, a lot of them will share a flat, so there'll be a lot of them living together. We know of a place like that where we visit, and we sometimes meet new people when we go there. So, maybe someday we'll find someone who's interested.

OK, so another story. Elders Humpheries and DeSazer are teaching a family, well the man, Danny isn't a member, but the lady is. The lady, Steph, hasn't been active for a while and Danny is looking to get baptized, but they are just waiting to either have him move out or to get married first.

So, we had just visited this Polish flat and talked to a man named Peter and his brother who are really nice, but didn't have a lot of time that day to talk. We felt like we should knock somewhere in the area and went to a side street, prayed, and then started knocking. The first house, no one answered. The second house, a young boy was outside playing. We asked him if his parents were home and if we could talk to them. He said his nanny lived there and went and called her. An older lady walked up to the doorway. And for a moment, just paused and looked at us. Then she said something like “I'm so glad to see you two missionaries.” We talked with her for a while. She's a member of the church who is not active. And then we found out that she is Steph's mother! She looked at us and said “Ah, I can feel you two have the spirit,” and she started crying. It was pretty amazing how we are guided to places and to reach out to people who need the Lord in their lives.

Starszy Ressler