Hull - November 5, 2012



Hello everyone,

I think it's amazing that we're going to get quite a few more missionaries in the world. I know that it is no mistake me being here in England. I know that this is what I've been preparing to do since I was small. I also believe that I was meant to be part of the work here.

Dad, ah, I remember the wood cutting. One of the things I'm ever so grateful you and Mom taught me is work. Now I know I'm not the hardest worker, but you taught me that sometimes you don't want to do everything, but you just got to roll up your sleeves and get the job done. That applies to missionary work as well. You just work hard and get over yourself, ah, miracles happen Dad. For example, I met a police officer who was over here visiting his bother from Poland (Polish police officer). He and his brother are very large and it was a bit intimidating, but I just talked to them anyway and we had a really good conversation.

I've had funny stories with translating Polish. There are a couple of Polish supermarkets around the city. One time we went in one to buy some sandwich meat because we wanted to practice some Polish and talk to the meat lady in Polish. Elder Ball told me to ask her what her favorite meat is. This is what I get from learning Polish from the scriptures. So I said, “co jest twoja umilowany?” which is interpreted “what is your beloved?” So I asked her what her beloved meat is. I also just realized that I've been telling people that we're “dividing” a message about the Book of Mormon (dividing mathematically). So I've been there, Dad. All you can do is laugh about it.

I hope elections go well. I think I'm the only one in my flat to vote. I sent the absentee ballot off about a week ago. Isn't it crazy that it's already November? It doesn't feel like it. Tonight is Bonfire Night. It's a holiday here in the UK because someone a long time ago tried to blow up parliament and they burned him at the stake. And so to remember it they set off fireworks and such and have a bonfire. That’s what I hear anyway. We aren't allowed to go out finding tonight, but we can teach lessons to people who we know. So, that should go well, hopefully. It is getting a lot colder; I think I'm going to buy a warmer coat today. I have about five blankets, so I'm all toasty at night.

There is a large possibility, well in fact it's probably most likely, that I'll be in Hull most of my mission, if not all of it. I've heard that it took a lot of work to get Polish-speaking missionaries in Hull in the first place, and so we'll probably be staying here our whole two years, if not for a good long while. We still Skype Poland on Saturdays, which helps us out a lot.

One of my favorite things to share with people is the Book of Mormon because it's probably my most loved book. And I tell people that it changed my life and that that is how I got my belief that Jesus is our Savior and Redeemer.

Love you much,

Starszy Ressler